The objectives of the college are to
1. advance veterinary sports medicine and rehabilitation in Europe to the benefit of animal health and welfare
2. establish and maintain standards for veterinary practitioners who excel in sports medicine and rehabilitation and who shall be titled Diplomates.
3. identify, develop, foster, and maintain veterinary sports medicine and rehabilitation speciality credentialing and ethical standards.
4. promote the improvement of scientific and professional standards and the advancement of professional knowledge and competency, by self-assessment and examination, and to facilitate the continuing education of veterinary practitioners in the discipline of veterinary sports medicine and rehabilitation.
5. identify Diplomates to the public, other professionals, professional organisations, government agencies and representatives, and other appropriate individuals and bodies.
6. seek and foster cooperation and contacts with other organisations that relate to veterinary medicine, and to collaborate in matters of common interest, including the advancement of high standards and methods in the art and science of veterinary practice.
7. collaborate with universities and other educational institutions to encourage and promote the development of graduate veterinary science programmes, with particular emphasis on residency training for clinical practice in the discipline of veterinary sports medicine and rehabilitation.
This shall be achieved by:
1. establishing guidelines for postgraduate education and training for acquiring and maintaining specialist status in veterinary sports medicine and rehabilitation, including
a. encouraging the development, supervision and assessment of continuing education programmes in veterinary sports medicine and rehabilitation
b. training, examining and certifying veterinarians as qualified specialists in veterinary sports medicine and rehabilitation;
2. enhancing the scientific evidence in the field of veterinary sports medicine and rehabilitation through promoting scientific research and dissemination of results